Friday, July 24, 2009

Quilting

Since I moved home with my parents I have learned about quilting. I made two quilted tote bags and have enjoyed every step of it! My mother has always quilted. Growing up I watched her do each step methodically as she chose and cut the fabric, sewed the pieces together. Attached the pieces to the lining and flipped the whole thing right-side-out... etc...
As I have worked on these bags I feel like I know my mother better. I could see her in my mind as I made the simple repetitive motions I have watched her do all my life. I saw her when I stopped the sewing machine to straighten the length of fabric, I saw her when I laid out the cutting ruler on top of the fabric, I saw her when I pulled the thread at the end of a row of sewing and cut it with the cutter on the machine.
It's a strange thing, and strangely comforting to see my mother in myself.

2 comments:

madamraspberry said...

and someday Emery will say the same thing :)

elizabeth strehle said...

Yay. you are a quilter now too. You must make a quilt to curl up in on the couch now. then you will have arrived. :)
It is amazing how certain activities remind us of people. how nice.