Monday, June 29, 2009

vaccinations

Today Emery got some of her vaccinations. I considered not posting this because I know that some people who read this blog (and some of my dearest friends) are anti-vaccination people. But I figure, Oh well... this is my blog right? And I am a very strong supporter of vaccinations.
 
But I hate when she has to get them. So I'm preventing her from getting rhubella and measles and mumps and polio and hepatitis etc... etc... And these are all horrible diseases that I'm so glad she'll never get... but it sure doesn't feel like that when they're sticking her. The nurse comes in and Emery's laying there on the table all smiles and giggles looking so cute and innocent and happy. Then the nurse sticks her with that needle and the look of shock and hurt on her face is almost more than I can bear. And she cries and I cry because I feel like such a horrible person even though I believe that this is best for her. 

My poor baby... I never want to hurt you...

4 comments:

Carissa said...

Hi Lindsey! It sounds like you're a great mom, and Emery sure is cute!

I, too, am a big supporter of vaccinations. Sometimes I wonder if the people opposed to them consider what would happen if everyone were to take their approach. Already, enough people are refusing vaccinations that some of these horrible diseases that haven't been seen in long time are suddenly appearing. And sadly, it's the babies who aren't old enough for vaccinations, or children who haven't had vaccinations, who are most at risk when they do.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. :)

Lindsey Painter said...

thanks Carissa!

Juanly said...

Hi Lindsey! I, too, am a big fan of vaccinations as my Grandmother died of diphtheria at age 34, leaving two motherless boys. And I still remember how very afraid my parents used to be whenever I got a high fever and a stiff neck when I was little. The dreaded polio word reared it's head. I remember their HUGE relief when a vaccine came along. You're definitely in the majority, I think!

Juanly said...

But having said all that, I can definitely emphathize at how hard it was to see my wee one get her shots. I remember that shocked look on her face very well.