Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Literature for Children

Jimmy and I take turns reading to Emery every night before she goes to bed. She has absolutely no interest in books or reading and only wants to chew on the book or squirm off our laps so she can grab at something interesting on the floor. Nevertheless, being an English major, and teacher, I believe in reading to children and I believe that she will learn to like it. And that maybe, somewhere down there, its doing some good.

However, after reading "Touch and Feel Farm Animals" and "Peekaboo Under the Sea" about 6 million times both Jimmy and I have decided to read something a little more entertaining for us, seeing as how Emery doesn't seem to care either way.

I chose a book by one of my favorite childhood authors, Sam Campbell, called "Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Mo, and Still-Mo." About 5 rambunctious red squirrels.

Jimmy chose a book on wilderness survival.

So if Emery pays attention, she can hear about my red squirrels and laugh with me at their antics...

AND she can learn how to...

...build a snow cave, where to find water in a desert, or how to trap wild game. Among other useful information.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! Her interest will come!

madamraspberry said...

she will certainly be a well-informed little girl :)

elizabeth strehle said...

It is true you might as well enjoy it. The important thing is that she is listening to the language and pictures to look at. Most importantly she is spending that special time with mommy and daddy.

Unknown said...

It doesn't matter WHAT you read...it's just READING and modeling to your child YOUR love of reading! That's what is powerful. You are doing the right thing. Keep up the good parenting....it will truly pay off in the long run!!!!!