So Emery is sick sick sick! She has never been truly sick before. She has gotten the sniffles for a day and been extra fussy, but she's never gotten truly yucky sick.
Starting yesterday morning (and the night before that if her crib sheets are any indication) she has been throwing up everything she eats. She also has horrible foul-smelling diarrhea that soaks out the sides of her diapers onto her clothes and whatever she happens to be sitting on. She is fussy and clingy and won't be put down. Yesterday I changed her clothes 6 times... today we're on outfit number 4 and it's only 1:00.
I find that my baby surprises me when she's not feeling good. She is fussy and clingy and cries a lot more than usual... but she also has spells when she plays happily with whatever is around her and there's no indication that she isn't feeling well until she opens her mouth and her breakfast comes out all over the carpet.
When I'm sick I do not have times when I act like myself. I wallow in my misery and feel generally sorry for myself and pout and wish someone was waiting on me hand and foot. It seems that I should learn a lesson from Emery. She doesn't feel sorry for herself... she keeps doing what she thinks she should be doing until she needs something or someone.
Poor baby...
I thought she was feeling better this afternoon because there had been no puking for several hours. She was clinging to me and crying so I thought she might be hungry. She refused solid food so I gave her a bottle. After the bottle she was playing by herself when she spit up just a little. I picked her up and started cleaning her up and the spot on the rocking chair where it had landed. Then I carried her into the kitchen. There, in the kitchen she regurgitated the entire contents of the bottle all over me and herself and the kitchen floor (which thankfully is much easier to clean than the carpet).
For a moment I just stood there in shock wondering what to do. I must confess, to my shame, that for a brief moment I considered putting her down so I could clean up. Then I remembered how miserable it feels to throw up and I pulled her to me, vomit and all. She whimpered and laid her head on my shoulder and I knew in that moment that I had made the right choice. And I repented of my brief moment of worry about the kitchen floor and my clothes.
And if there are some moments that are sweet in their horribleness... that was one of them.
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You're a good mommy, Lindsey. It's beautiful to read your heart toward Emery.
I have totally been here. Abby was in my room and puked all over the floor. I just picked her up and put her in my bed and let Andy deal with the puke when he could. I stayed in bed with her all night holding her and cleaning up her puke every time she did it. It was an awful night but it really made me realize how we are as mommy's. Puke is the worst possible thing I can think of. I could never be a nurse but when it's your kid, you are soooooo not caring about the puke. Just the kid an how they feel. My first REAL experience with empathy.
Hope she feels better soon. One thing about sick babies is that they want to be held. Kinda nice.
poor Emery and mommy. I hope she feels better soon. I know what you mean about being sick and feeling sorry for yourself, she's a special little girl.
Post a Comment