Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chess: the random-move strategy

I've been trying to find new and interesting ways to teach spelling words to my 7-8th graders. Spelling is unfortunately kind of a boring subject so i'm always trying to find new ways to make it more interesting to practice our spelling words for the week.
This week I decided to have the students do some game modification. We have played games before using our spelling words, one of our old favorite standards is Hangman, of course. Today We had several board games and card games and the students were supposed to modify the games to incorporate the spelling words. It was much more of a success then I was expecting!
One team modified the game "Sorry" so that every time you got out onto the board, every time you entered the home base, and every time you got a "sorry" card you had to correctly spell a word before moving on.
Another team changed the game "Skip-Bo" so that every time you wanted to play a card from your deck you had to correctly spell a word, or lose your turn!
But the one I remember the best was the game I was involved in. One of my students is excellent at chess so he challenged me to a game. We decided that anytime you want to take another player's piece, you have to correctly spell a word.
Now you have to understand that playing chess with me is a frustrating experience for good chess players... or so I'm told. This is because I have a very unique strategy (and also because I am TERRIBLE at chess). My strategy in chess is to move my pieces around the board, blocking or protecting my pieces as I see them in danger. But the part of my strategy that drives people nuts is that when I don't know what to do I make some kind of illogical but bold move with one of my key pieces. For example, let's say that we're part-way into the game, the pieces are moved around the board in such a way that if anyone makes the first move taking pieces it will cause a chain reaction that will wipe out half the pieces on the board. So instead of focusing on that, I will take my queen and move her randomly to the other side of the board. or my rook. or my bishop. Or I'll move my king up one space. Now, good chess players, since they have a long-term strategy, assume that I also have some kind of strategy. So when I make a bold move like that they try to figure out what I'm thinking. But my brilliant secret is:
I'm not thinking anything!
So chess master playing opposite me is sitting there scratching his head and replanning his whole strategy to incorporate my random move. This is very satisfying to me. It's the only reason I play chess. Because losing a game over and over and over is MUCH more amusing if you can at least succeed in puzzling and confounding the other player.
And since I'm going to lose anyway... I might as well enjoy myself right?
So today I was playing against 7th grade chess master and employing my random move strategy when to my great surprise (and his) I found myself in a position to take one of his important pieces. Of course, that would mean sacrificing my queen, but oh well. It would be exciting wouldn't it? So after he confusedly replanned his strategy around this new move, he made the move that would wipe out my queen. And to my great delight... he spelled his spelling word wrong! Allowing me to put him in checkmate... And so I won a game of chess... possibly for the first and last time in my life. He declared good-naturedly that it wasn't a real game and I shouldn't be able to congratulate myself.
But I'm going to count it.

No comments: