Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spending fast

Jimmy and I went to a financial seminar last week and decided that we really need to rethink our spending. So last night we decided that we're going on a spending fast that will last at least three or four months because we need to save for the birth of this baby. But it's only 10:00 in the morning and I've already thought of dozens of ways to spend money today!

The car needs gas, and it is very overdue for an oil change.
I was late to work this morning so I wanted to run through Starbucks for breakfast (which is actually much quicker then making something at home.)
On the way by the grocery store I was remembering some things I would like to make for lunch.
On my way past the co-op I was thinking of some "natural remedies" that my midwife was recommending to ease some of the discomfort of pregnancy.
On my way past home depot I was remembering that I wanted to buy rat poison for our garage intruder, and fly paper for our recent invasion of fruit flies.
I also remembered that my mom's birthday is coming up and I haven't bought her a card yet.
These things don't include the drive past Big Lots and JCPenny and Kohls where I could easily spend LOTS more money.

So I had a bagel with cream cheese from my own toaster this morning... no Starbucks.
And I'll make something for lunch that we already have in the house.
And the natural remedies will have to wait... and so will the fly paper and rat poison (although the rat poison will have to be purchased sometime before the spending fast is over because I can't stand to have that guy in there all that time!)
And I got some construction paper from the teacher's lounge and Emery and I will make a birthday card for my mom.
Obviously I'll still have to fill the tank with gas and get the oil changed.
but this is going to be harder then I thought!

No comments: