Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Day in the Life...

A few months ago my friend Heidi wrote a blog post with pictures explaining what a day in her life is like. I loved the idea, and I resolved to do it when I had a "normal" day to document. But after several months I'm beginning to realize that I don't have any "normal" days so you're going to get just one abnormal day in my life.
Also, a warning. I was trying out the camera on my new iPhone 3G which isn't a bad camera, but you have to hold absolutely still when you're taking the picture, and it doesn't do very well in low lighting. So these pictures aren't the best quality, but it's enough to get the idea.

Here I am at 6:30 in the morning eating breakfast, putting on my makeup, and making my evil parts-of-speech quiz for the 7-10th grade English classes I teach. Emery and Jimmy are still sleeping.

On my way to school... and yes I'm late... again. I'm supposed to be there for staff worship at 7:20. The girl in this picture is one of my 9th grade students. When I told her that I was taking these pictures for a blog she looked confused and actually said to me: "Is that like a twitter?"
Wow I feel old. I thought the concept of writing a blog was still relatively new...
Here's me at my desk getting ready to start my 9/10th grade English class. I feel like I shouldn't post any pictures of my students without their parents permission so no classroom pics. After this picture was taken we had morning worship, took hot lunch orders, took attendance, reviewed the parts of speech, then took the quiz I made in the morning. Then we did pretty much the same thing in 7/8th grade English minus the worship and hot lunch, and I gave the 7th and 8th graders some extra time to work on the fictional stories that are due on Monday and study for their spelling test tomorrow.

The bell rings at 9:33 and now class is over and I'm done teaching for the day. Normally I would go home now, but today I have my piano lesson. Unfortunately I didn't get much practicing done with Thanksgiving break and family visiting. Luckily my teacher has grown children and remembers what life was like when they were young. He's lenient on me when I don't have enough time to practice properly.
Luckily I have about 20 minutes to quickly run through my songs before he arrives.


It's 10:45 and I'm home at last. Emery was glad to see me. She's got pink-eye in both eyes and has a cold, and is getting two molars at the same time so she's pretty clingy, snotty, and sick right now. You may not be able to see the dark red around her eyes in this picture, but it's pretty awful. Jimmy was happy to get going to work also. And this is what greeted me when I got home... *sigh* it's going to be a long day...



But before we tackle the living room, it's time for Emery's snack/1st lunch. Here she's munching on apple slices and string cheese... and that's spilled milk on her tray. She also ate some leftover lentil stew after I took this picture. While she eats I put the first load of dishes in the dishwasher and get it started.


Now Emery is all ready to help me cook dinner. We're putting it in the crock pot so it'll be all ready when daddy gets home! I'm trying a new recipe called Mediterranean Lemon Chicken that I got from my friend Ruthie's blog. However, I'm modifying it for the crock pot and instead of using chicken legs, I'm using chicken breast because that's what I have. I hope Ruthie won't mind!

Emery made her own concoction including milk, lemon zest, and pieces of garlic. She mixed it enthusiastically, then when I wasn't watching she tried to pour it from that bowl into the cup there, spilling it down into the burners. So after I put her down for her nap I had to take the stove apart and clean down under it to get all the milk.
Nap time!


Here's my lunch. Lentil stew, toast with butter, and apple juice. I take this opportunity while Emery is asleep to sit down, eat my lunch, and watch one episode of "Psych." "Psych," is one of the dumbest TV shows ever made, but it's quite entertaining and usually very brainless, which is the exact criteria I'm looking for right now.


Load of dishes #2

2:00: Mommy come rescue me!


Time for snack/Lunch #2. We'll eat some broccoli while mommy makes the macaroni with tomatoes.

Off to the post office to mail a couple of packages.


Even when Emery's sick she likes to get out of the house for a little bit in a day.
Back home we've cleaned the living room and are getting ready to vaccuum. Emery looks so brave in this picture, but when the vaccuum turns on she runs to a far corner. :)

And now she's in time out for disobeying mommy...
4:00- Living room is vaccuumed, and realitively clutter-free. Kitchen is clean. Dinner is in the crock pot. Mommy is tired of cleaning so it's time for a little mommy-Emery time.


5:00- Daddy's home! Time to get dinner on the table.

The chicken was very dry and didn't have a lot of flavor. I'm positive that if this recipe hadn't been modified by me it would have been delicious. Try Ruthie's recipe... I'm sure it's wonderful. But when I made it it didn't turn out. But the broccoli was yummy!7:00- Choir practice. We're preparing for the Christmas Cantata in a week and a half. Here I am sharing a folder with my friend Betty! Choir practice got out about 9:15... then I came home and wrote this blog post!

4 comments:

heidileanne said...

Love it! I always wondered how you worked out teaching and being a mom. Seems like you really do have the best of both worlds! Lucky you!

Unknown said...

What a fun blog! I loved all the pictures and descriptions. That's funny that your student didn't know what a blog was. I hope Emery feels better soon. Cute glow-worm that she has. I had one of those back in the day!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this post! But, I am exhausted after reading it! That's a lot of hard work in one day, Mama!

Ruthy said...

I don't mind chicken legs at all! By all means use what you've got and make it work - or at least attempt to :) I'm sorry it didn't work out in the crock pot. I'd say add lots more liquid??