Friday, December 10, 2010

AAaaaa-CHOOO!

Our Christmas Cantata is this weekend and things have been crazy around here. There have been practices nearly every night this week and to top it off, I lost my voice yesterday. Since I started getting sick last Sunday everyone has been giving me their own tried-and-true home remedies for getting over a cold. I think that probably most of these things are superstition, because ultimately, my own body has to fight the virus on its own, but some of the remedies might help my body's immune system do its thing right?
So I've been taking my prenatal vitamins, and drinking this vile tea made with vinegar and honey, and drops of elderberry extract. I've been rubbing essence of Eucalyptus on my chest and back at night and inhaling steam and peppermint extract. And Emery and I are practically drowning in the amount of citrus we have consumed in the last two weeks. We polished off a whole bag of Cuties in about 3 days. Poor Jimmy was only able to get about 3 of them... Emery and I ate the rest. The only remedies I haven't tried are the ones that could turn out to be counter-productive, such as the one where I wrap my neck in a wet cloth, then a wool scarf and then sleep in that the whole night. Frankly, that sounds horribly uncomfortable, and I think a good night's sleep would help me fight disease better.
So today my voice is back... although very croaky still. I'm able to talk, though my voice is much lower pitched then normal, and my attempts at singing in the shower this morning were a total failure. At least I can make noise... that's a step in the right direction right?
The problem with most of these remedies is that one measly ounce of elderberry extract is like $15 at the co-op and they all go for that kind of price. Home remedies are expensive!
So just as I'm starting to get better, Jimmy woke up with a sore throat and raging fever this morning. So I made him a cup of vile tea (that's what we call it) and he grudgingly sipped at it between faces. Here we go again... round three of this awful cold. Emery first, then me, now him. I'll be so happy when we're all back to a reasonable state of health around our house! And when the trash cans aren't perpetually full of used kleenexes. Gross!

2 comments:

Ruthy said...

Hope all of you feel better soon!

madamraspberry said...

I'm so sorry - our home seems to be a sick house too lately. But on a positive note - I love reading all your posts ;)