I'm back! The end of my pregnancy was uncomfortable and stressful as I tried to prepare lesson plans for the 6 weeks I was going to be gone, and finished all other obligations as well.
When I finally went on maternity leave I was so relieved! My mom got here on Friday February 4 and Warren James Painter came into the world at 3:56am on February 8. He is so precious and I'm completely bananas for him.
While Jimmy and I were in the hospital, my mom was working really hard on potty training Emery. We have been doing months and months of preparing for training, but my mom started doing some more direct and intensive work on it. And Emery was taking to it like a fish to water! She loved sitting on her potty, she loved wearing her "big-girl panties" (that mom had to alter just so they would be small enough for her skinny bottom!) and she was successfully alerting us in time to rush to the potty and get her diaper off before going. Both number 1 and number 2! We were so thrilled about it when we got back from the hospital. But it was only about 3 days after we got back from the hospital that Emery got her fever.
The fever was quite high, hovering around 103 most of the time. The fever lasted 6 days and after repeated visits to the doctor and Emery complaining that her bottom "hurts!" we got a diagnosis. MRSA.
The abscess on her bottom was so large and painful that she couldn't even sit down for many days. The fever went raging on even after we started the antibiotics. It was a horrible and painful process that I really don't need to get into online, but we've been to the doctor at least 10 times in the past 3 weeks and it's only just now starting to clear up.
So yesterday when I was sure she wasn't in any pain anymore I thought we would start up with the potty training again (which had been halted because she couldn't sit on the potty... too painful). But Emery is absolutely 100% against sitting on the potty now. I don't know whether she associates the potty with her pain or is resisting because of the upset of a new brother, or what, but she absolutely, kicking and screaming, refuses to sit on the potty.
I'm so disappointed. It was going SO well!!
Stupid MRSA.
So we packed up the little potty in the closet where she can't see it and we're avoiding the word potty in the house right now. In two or three weeks we'll pull it out again and see how it goes. Maybe she'll be less threatened by it by then.
Wish us luck!
Monday, February 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congrats on your newest addition to the family! I hope Emery feels better soon enough to start trusting the potty again. I've seen "fun" potties in various stores; hopefully she'll get out of the funk soon!
Post a Comment