Saturday, March 5, 2011

MRSA

So here are my thoughts on MRSA.

First: it is the bane of my existence.

Now that we got that out of the way lets talk about it.

MRSA stands for Methicillin-Resistant Staphlyococcus Aureus. Basically, it's a bacterial infection that has been created by our western society's misuse and overuse of antibiotics and antibacterial products. It's a Staph bacteria that is resistant to the regular antibiotics.

It presents as a series of pimples or an abscess usually in an area that is moist and warm, such as the groin, bottom, or armpit area, or sometimes it appears wherever there is an open sore on the skin.

It is treated with a special kind of antibiotics, but even those can't completely get rid of it. The only way to get rid of it is to open the abscess and completely drain it.

And from what I understand, it never goes away completely. Therefore, since both my kids have it now (yes, we found out today that my 3-week-old son has it too) they will apparently have recurring problems with it the rest of their lives, or until medical science finds a better way to treat it.

My impression from the research that I've done, and the conflicting information I've gotten from multiple doctors is that this infection is so "new" in medical science that there isn't a lot of good solid information out there about it. Even the different doctors in the pediatric group we go to have different opinions about how to deal with it. One doctor told me that when the infection went away we should throw away all antibacterial products from our house (since overuse of antibacterial products in general is what caused this super-bug) and go on with life. Another doctor told me that we should wash ourselves with a special antiseptic soap and take bleach baths once a week for the rest of our lives. The rest of our lives!! And other doctors have told us every other variation in-between. Clearly, no one knows what to do about this.

I also found out that about 40% of the American population are carriers of this infection.

I also know that I am fighting an inclination to sink into depression. I usually try to be positive and upbeat on this blog, but to be completely honest this thing has almost beat me.

My poor babies are suffering and I am helpless. I swing wildly from frenzied action (bleach baths for everyone in the house, endless loads of laundry with bleach and antiseptic wipes over everything) to fits of uncontrollable sobbing to sitting on my couch in quiet hopelessness. I have my good times too, don't get me wrong, but it's surely hard to stay positive with these postpartum hormones raging and all this stuff going on.
I don't know what to do and I don't know who to ask. And when people offer to help me I don't have anything for them to do but pray. How can they help? Can they keep my babies from suffering?
So I'll keep praying and when I cry out I'll cry out to God. He's the only one that can help me now.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm so sorry! I can only imagine how awful this must be for you. My only advice is that people want to help. They want to feel like they're doing something. While praying is definitely helpful, you should give them things they can do to really help YOU. Ask them to fix a dinner or clean something for you. This way you could spend some time with your children without worrying about what else you have to do. Of course, do whatever's best for you. That's just my suggestion.

madamraspberry said...

oh Lindsey, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine the pain of watching your children suffer. I will pray to the Healer for your babies and your peace of mind.

Carissa said...

Hey Lindsey. I'm so sorry you're going through this. How difficult!

Just a word of hope... I guess I don't know as much about this as I probably should, but everyone we admit to the hospital is tested for MRSA (like you said, it's very common) and from what I understand, people can be "cleared" of it (ie: they no longer have to be in isolation while in the hospital).

Also, my dad got it when I was in high school, was treated with antibiotics, and hasn't had any problems with it since.

Don't despair!