Near the beginning of the year after we got all moved in, we noticed that there was a really nice guy named Matt hanging around quite a lot. Especially before school started and on the weekends Matt would come over briefly, hang around for awhile, then he and Britney would leave for the day and he would drop her off in the evenings. Erin and I both liked Matt, but we were troubled because we also both liked Jimmy, although neither of us knew him very well.
I can't remember whether Britney or I brought it up, but I do remember talking to her about it. I remember urging her to do the right thing, which was either stop seeing Matt or break up with Jimmy. She eventually chose the latter and broke up with Jimmy, who was going to school in Canada at the time. I found her in her room crying... it must have been hard for her to break up with him, even though she had Matt waiting in the wings. He was her first boyfriend and they dated for about two years before the relationship finally ended. We talked about it for awhile. She gave me some reasons for their break-up (which I thought were pretty lame) and cried some more. I comforted her the best I could, although I still didn't know her all that well... but I remember thinking privately to myself, "If I ever dated Jimmy Painter I would never break up with him!" Of course, I still believed that Jimmy Painter would want to date me the day pigs learned to fly, so it was an abstract thought at best.
Britney and I turned out to be better friends then we were roommates, so she moved out not too long after that, and our friendship improved quite a bit when she had her own place. During that school year I got involved in a tumultuous relationship myself. It lasted about 6 months and we broke up in the Spring.
Early on in my new relationship I got a call from my dad. He told me that my church in California was hiring a youth pastor and they were considering someone that I knew... Jimmy Painter. I gave my heartiest recommendation. I had nothing but the highest respect for Jimmy and I remembered how gently and patiently he treated the kids at summer camp. I told my dad that the church would be foolish to pass up an opportunity to hire Jimmy Painter. So my dad took my recommendation to the church committee and that, along with Jimmy's favorable interview, landed him the job.
Hmmmm... this post is getting pretty long and I have some knitting to do... :) We'll pick up the next time with my return home from college in the summer... for the first time in our lives, both Jimmy and I were single, and we were both living in the same town.
1 comment:
oooh-oooh-oooh! Write the rest! I LOVE IT.
Post a Comment