So I was reading Harmony’s blog about her first sight of her husband and I was remembering when I had my first sight of Jimmy. It was very different from her experience, but I thought I would share it anyway.
I was a brand new employee at Leoni Meadows summer camp, freshly returned from my year teaching high-school in the Micronesian Islands. It seemed to me that everyone except my sister and me had been employed for several summers and they all knew each other. We were feeling a little left out, but we had made some new friends among the other employees and were starting to get to know each other during the orientation week. Near the end of the week a beautiful couple walked into the cafeteria, they looked like they had just stepped out of a magazine and into our humble little group. She had flowing blonde locks that curled just perfectly at the ends, she was wearing a pair of expensive looking jeans that hugged her perfect curves and flowed down to her cute petite cowboy boots. He was obviously working at cowboy camp, as evidenced not only by his association with the other cowboy staff, but also by his fashionably rugged and dusty jeans. But unlike the other cowboy staff he didn’t feel the need to overdo the cowboy gear and, foregoing the cowboy hat and obviously western shirt and boots, he wore an American-eagle-ish t-shirt and sneakers. But he looked all the more authentic for his lack of cowboy gear. He looked self-confident, like he belonged there, and made the others around him look like slightly silly and foolish.
I leaned over to the person next to me and asked in a hushed, slightly awed voice, “Who are they?” I was absolutely sure I had never seen them before and I knew that all the staff were supposed to be there for the whole staff week. “Oh, that’s Jimmy and Britney” the person said (I honestly can’t even remember if it was a guy or a girl I was talking to!) “Jimmy’s been working here for 6 summers, they’ve been dating for almost 2 years. They weren’t here earlier this week because they’ve been here so long they got special permission.”
I felt immediately threatened. Two gorgeous people who were above the rules of camp (and thus above the rest of us) just walked in here like they own the place… and really, it seemed like they did.
And that was my first glimpse of my future husband, although at the time he seemed so out of my league that if someone had told me that I would one day be married to him I would have laughed for a week! Not only was he perfect, but he was dating Britney… and I knew there was no way I could compete with that! But fortune smiled on me and I ended up with him anyway. :) Hurray for me!
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Man, Lindsey! You left me thirsting for the rest of the story! PLEASE! Write all of it... right until the you rode off on a white stallion together... or whatever romantic thing it is you did!
=)
Seriously! I'm sitting here itching to know what happened to Britney. How'd you get the man? !!!
Post a Comment