Sunday, December 27, 2009
Emery's first fear
Today Jimmy and I were cleaning the house after a couple of weeks of craziness and we needed to vacuum the living room to get all the pine needles off of it from the Christmas tree. Emery was playing in the living room when I began to pick up her toys so Jimmy could vacuum. He started the vacuum and she started to cry. We suspected that she might be afraid, so we turned off the vacuum and picked her up. Then we took her over to the silent vacuum and let her touch it. Soon she was grabbing the parts and bouncing up and down like her usual fearless self. So I thought she was ready and went ahead and turned the vacuum on. I expected her to be a little startled and then when she realized that nothing was wrong, she would continue to play. After all, she has never been afraid of anything before in her life... she is an absolutely fearless baby. But my fearless daughter heard that vacuum come on and screamed in abject terror. Poor thing! We turned it off immediately and picked her up. Now she won't even touch it, even when it's off. She spent the next 10 minutes clinging to my arm as she warily watched Jimmy finish vacuuming the room. She has NEVER clung to me before. It was an interesting experience. I guess my daughter isn't so fearless after all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember when I was young I was mesmerized by the vacuum. That being said, I've known a lot of kids who aren't. It's loud, it blows air around, it causes the floor to vibrate (minimally but vibrate nonetheless), and it sucks up everything in its path. If it weren't such a great cleaning tool it would probably be a weapon of mass destruction (as in Space Balls). I wonder also if Emery isn't just a little more sensitive to the sounds and sensations. I'm sure you've already thought of all this, and unfortunately I don't have much of a solution other than let her see the vacuum off as much as possible, and take her to a different room if you're going to use it. Good luck!
Post a Comment