Thursday, February 26, 2009

The here and now

I have always been a "present-tense" kinda girl. In fact, when I was in elementary school I would frequently finish assignments and stuff them in my desk forgotten for months without turning them in just because the only moment I cared about was NOW! Fortunately for my academic career I learned how to overcome that particular problem... 
But now I find myself really living in the future. My brain and my body and my emotions are all geared for baby and moving and not working and settling in a new home. And for only the second time in my life I am having a very hard time focusing on the here and now. (The first time was the period of time between my engagement and my wedding). I have a hard time motivating myself to go to work because, even though I still love my job, my heart is yearning forward and I have to snap myself back to the waiting present to focus on the tasks at hand. It doesn't help that my house is randomly scattered with various signs that our lives here are temporary. The mirror propped against the wall that never got properly hung, the baby clothes and gifts randomly scattered throughout the house, and the conspicuous lack of a nursery or any sign of plans to settle with a baby in the house. 
The waiting is making the time crawl by............

3 comments:

madamraspberry said...

I know that feeling; I always live in the future though, I have a hard time living in the present.

Juanly said...

Twenty-three years from now when your child is grown and you look back, you will be AMAZED at how quickly the time went! I know that doesn't help now, but just enjoy every single part of it. At least for now...you can read a book and not be interrupted! Those days will soon end. :)

elizabeth strehle said...

that waiting period stinks. That is why I started packing little by little in october for our move in december. It somehow made me feel some sense of movement forward, then was very helpful when we finally moved!
I love the anticipation of dreaming about the future though. the bad thing is you miss out on today's blessings.
did you read Katie's blog on this same thing?