So I feel a little betrayed by all those baby books I read before Emery was born. The longer I'm a mom (listen to me with all my 4 weeks of experience!) the more I believe that you just have to figure it out based on the needs of yourself and your baby.
For example... all those baby books say how beautiful and natural breastfeeding is and how babies can breastfeed minutes after being born and blah blah blah... Well that may be true for some babies but the more people I ask the more amazed I am. There's apparently more women who had problems breastfeeding then women who didn't have problems. At least of the women I have talked to. Apparently breastfeeding is a learned thing for both mommy and baby. Why don't the books tell us this?
And all the baby books tell me that babies love to be held. "Hold your baby as much as possible" in fact, you really should wear your baby all the time. Babies are held all the time in the womb and they love to be held. Well they apparently never met my uber-independent daughter. She likes to be held... sometimes. She screams bloody murder if I try to sling her in any way so slinging is out of the question for now at least. And sometimes she'll cry until I set her down on the couch or the floor and then she's happy as a clam. What a weird kid...
Anyway... I don't mean to sound bitter, but I wish more books out there told us to trust our instincts and if our babies don't fit the "normal" baby mold not to sweat it. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with her.
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good for you. Bless you, too, for trusting your instincts and knowing your daughter. She sounds like a ham.
Post a Comment