Well we made it to California. Remind me never to fly across the country with a 3-week-old again! Not that Emery was bad. In fact, she was a little angel and both mom and I gave a huge sigh of relief when we landed in Sacramento and she was sleeping peacefully in my arms. What a sweetie! But when you travel with a baby you have to take LOADS of stuff. We had blankets and extra changes of clothes and burp rags and of course my breast shields (oh boy I can't wait to get rid of those!) and the breast pump and bottle just in case (we didn't need them thank goodness!). And we had the nursing apron and the boppy pillow (thank heavens we brought that!) and of course, the baby herself. And this doesn't include the car seat that we checked when we arrived at the airport, and all our own stuff that we usually take when we travel.
And let me ask you... when did they stop pre-boarding women with babies? Because I did not appreciate standing in line with a crying baby (because she was hungry and I couldn't feed her till we were seated on the plane) waiting for my "zone" in order to board the plane. Ridiculous!
We arrived here at midnight CA time which is of course, 3:00 in the morning in Michigan. The baby was absolutely perfect... she only cried at short intervals and as long as I fed her when she wanted she would go right to sleep.
But we're paying for it today. Babies can sense when things aren't like they used to be. Her routine is off and she feels insecure. As a result she will only relax when I'm nursing her. Thus, today, which I hoped would be a day to sleep and recover, has turned into a day with me rocking her and singing to her and soothing her while she drinks gallons of milk! In an abstract way, it's kind of sweet that when she is feeling insecure she wants her mama and only her mama. In a practical way it's kind of annoying because she will be comforted by no one but me!
And there she is now... I better go nurse her again...
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you're here?! I had no idea it was happening so quickly!
I KNOW! about the pre-boarding thing. Isn't that horrible?! And it seriously seems to take longer to get everyone on when you have all these kids in the mix rather than getting them on first. I MISS boarding first with my fussy babies.
I'm so glad you're in California. One thing down. Before you know it, Jimmy will be home for good and you'll be in your own place and life will settle down. Try to rest, Lindsey, rest all the while that you are at your parents. You will need it months from now when you are on your own. The more you rest, the more you will recover and keep baby blues at bay. Rest, even if you feel like you don't need to. Remind yourself that you are officially postpartum AT THE LEAST until you reach six weeks. And it hasn't been that long yet, has it?
I am so glad you made it there safely! It sounds like she did really good! It was great to see you a little before you left...keep us posted on how things are going!
Post a Comment