Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Home's Tiny Scientist

I'm noticing more and more that my child's "play" is really more like elaborate scientific experimentation. She doesn't play like an older child plays. She doesn't use her imagination or pretend. She doesn't cradle her doll or talk to her. What she does is very fascinating. She tests things to see what they will do. For example, what she's doing now. She found a loose roll of toilet paper. First she dug her fingers in and ripped some chunks straight out of the middle of the roll. I can almost hear her thinking.
"What will happen if I bite it. Will it come out? How about if I throw it. Will it make a noise? Will it bounce? Will it roll? OOohh look! It unrolls! I wonder how long it will unroll. What will happen if I pull on it. Will it tear?"
or if she's playing with a simple 3-piece puzzle:
Will the cow fit in the horse piece? Will the horse fit in the sheep piece? Can I fit the sheep back in it's own place if the cow is already there? What about my ball? Will it fit in the sheep piece? What about this empty roll of toilet paper? Will it fit in the sheep piece?
And on and on and on. She's not really "playing," she's experimenting. And she's as tireless and eager in her discoveries as any of the world's most celebrated scientists.
And now I must go so I can pick up the scraps of toilet paper from my living room floor.

1 comment:

Callie said...

Sounds like you are having a blast watching her learn.