Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Citrus Surprise

So my grandma came to visit and brought a bag of oranges that she had picked from her orange tree on her property. I was delighted because I love oranges, and because they were picked ripe and therefore sweeter and healthier than oranges you buy in the store. But also because they weren't from a store they didn't look as pretty either. But I didn't care of they had a little dirt or were shaped funny, Emery and I have been peeling and eating them two and three at a time. There were a couple of oranges that looked slightly different than the others. They were paler in color, and a little smaller. But I didn't think much of it because all the other oranges looked different from storebought oranges too. So this morning I peeled a sweet fresh orange for Emery's snack and when she was done with it she asked for more. So I peeled one of the pale oranges and gave it to her in sections. And it looked good so I took one section for myself. We put them in our mouths at the same time and... It was a lemon! And I have never tasted such a sour lemon. Emery and I both got puckered looks on our faces and then I started to laugh and as soon as she got over her shock she started to laugh too. Then she took another bite, puckered, and laughed again. Ewwwww!! So I took the lemon away and gave her some raisins and animal crackers. Now I need to find something to cook that requires lemon juice so this lemon doesn't go to waste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make guacamole!!! You are there were the avocados are AWESOME and it's takes half a lemon per avocado for my alotta guaca recipe!