Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Incredible Milk Machine

This is my first time really breastfeeding and I am amazed by it! I am amazed that without any intervention from me, my body automatically created this perfect source of food for my baby. I'm amazed that it provides for his nutritional needs, satisfies him when he's upset or hurt, and acts as both food and drink for him.
I'm amazed that my body adjusts the amount of milk automatically based on his need, and it doesn't just know how much, it knows when to produce it!
About a week ago Warren suddenly switched from sleeping three hours at night to sleeping 5 hours. When I woke up that first morning my body had produced too much milk, in anticipation of his need. But it only took two mornings of discomfort before the milk production was adjusted for his needs. When he was first born he would nurse every hour and a half, at small quantities each time. As he gets bigger, he nurses less often but larger quantites each time. And my amazing body has no problem making this adjustment. (haha... of course it's amazing at producing milk, I probably wouldn't call it an "amazing body" in any other sense though...)
Not only that, but the milk changes over the course of time. At first, it had a yellow tinge, because it was so full of colostrum, now it's pure white and full of creamy fat. As he gets older and doesn't need so much fat anymore, I know it will adjust according to his needs. Formula can't do that.
When I think about it it astounds me how anyone could believe that my body is a product of evolution. Breastfeeding just screams intelligent design. And I am awed by it.

1 comment:

Scribe said...

I wish there was a "like" button for blogs! Great post, Lindsey!